9.12.2011

Lather. Rinse. Repeat.


Softball, softball, volleyball, softball, bowling, do the hokey pokey and turn yourself around because it’s a new week and you have to do it all over again! I had the words, “lather, rinse, repeat” stuck in my head all week as I ran kiddos from one side of town to the other. Other than their bowling league, everything falls on Tuesday’s and Thursday’s so of course times overlap. Normally their dad would be available to tote one of them but he has night classes this semester on those nights. In addition to these weekly scheduled activities we also had to find time for a birthday party, a three day softball tournament in Overland Park, and softball camp! By Saturday night I was exhausted, slightly at my wits end, sitting at our KU tailgate wanting nothing more than to crawl into our cooler and chill caveman style; “Beer good. Me no think for rest of night. Please hit me with club. *ugh*”  

Last Sunday night we had been painting most of the day and the last thing I felt like doing was cooking dinner so I suggested we go bowl, give the girls something fun to do and then eat dinner at Wayne & Larry’s. Easy peasy.  Neither of the girls has bowled for almost a year and Gen easily threw a 180. So, to make a short story long…after a fun impromptu evening both girls joined the league Saturday.  They are on the same team in the High School group bowling with kids that are on both High School bowling teams. Gen still wants to try-out for the Free State team next year.  She has some natural ability that could benefit from some reputable coaching rather than her parents barking “Don’t drop your shoulder,” “You need to move over,” “Follow through!”  I really am trying to be better about giving unsolicited advice but it is reeeally hard because I’m just naturally bossy. When I made a point of telling them that they were not to even ask me for advice if they were going to get snippy and not try what I suggest, Gen could only mumble, “Pretty sure that was directed at me.”   
Ding, ding ding! You got it sister.

Syd has been desperately wanting to try volleyball but it isn't offered in school until next year. This Fall a league for her age group was added to the City Rec program so she and some of her friends signed up and are all on the same team. She has only had one practice so far but she is SO excited about playing that yesterday she wore her new knee pads the entire afternoon...just to clean her room and watch TV. I guess she thought she needed to protect her knees in the event she had to dive for dirty laundry.

No comments: