9.14.2011


Probably the biggest mistake Daniel ever made was making Kung Pao chicken for me. (And his tastes better than the restaurant stuff). Next to pizza, Kung Pao is one of my favorite foods and I ask him to make it all the time now. We both get to where we crave it and usually we make it once a week and have for months. The girls are at the point where they just screw up their faces and say, “Ugh, again?” A while back while eating noodles at a place on Mass St. call Zen Zero we got the bright idea to try making our Kung Pao yumminess with tofu instead of chicken.  I had never cooked with tofu so I Googled various recipes and gave it a go on Sunday. I cut it up and soaked it in the sauce then put it in the oven for 15 minutes. Sydney could not stop sneaking pieces off the cookie sheet; she loved it and I was shocked. 

So anyway, we were enjoying our new (healthier) version of amazing, mouthwatering tastiness when we discovered Hazel was missing. (No… we did NOT put her in the food). This week we are cat-sitting the girls’ dad’s cat, Evey and the two of them do not get along so we let Hazel outside to get some quiet time. She was last spotted lounging right outside on the patio in a chair but of course she wasn’t there so we started searching and calling. My neighbor was outside and he said he saw Hazel chasing a black cat and the two of them had nearly knocked him down in his yard.  We walked around the neighborhood calling for her and listening for her cry but no Hazel. We got in the truck and drove around but we only saw two red fox. I then got really worried because I know that they will kill a cat. When we showed up back at the house with no Hazel, Sydney burst into tears. All I could do was assure her Hazel would come home when she got hungry and I kept the fox sighting to myself. Needless to say she did not sleep well at all that night.   

Monday morning as I was filling my coffee mug I saw Evey at the patio door staring outside. On the other side was HAZEL! I immediately scooped her up and carried her into Sydney’s room to wake her. What a happy girl! As I left Sydney’s room I heard her scolding Hazel telling her she would no longer be allowed out in the yard.  We were all relieved she came home and didn’t end up as fox food or worse; in someone elses’ Kung Pao.

No comments: