5.17.2012

May 17, 2012

All week Daniel and I have been looking forward to a long weekend in Western Kansas. Looking forward with apprehension at the prospect that his father may not be able to enjoy the festivities. Daniel's niece is getting married on Saturday and there is a lot of family traveling there to help her celebrate. We were supposed to be among them but tonight I'm home alone and feeling lost that I'm not on my way as well. Earlier today Daniel learned that his father had suddenly passed away.

Since last Fall Daniel's father, Norm has progressively had heart issues. For a man who  worked everyday of his life, suddenly he was not able to work in his garage and B.S. with customers; most certainly two of the things he enjoyed most aside from his family. I didn't know Norm overly well but from the minute I first met him I knew two things;One, he was a character and two, he had a big heart. He seemed so familiar to me and I remember writing about how there was something about him that reminded me of my dad. Perhaps it was just the overalls but Norm was the type of person who made you feel welcome right off. Our first meeting consisted of drinking whiskey in the kitchen and listening to everyone swap funny stories about the family. After that, he would ask how I was doing and have Daniel be sure to tell me 'hello.' Once he even told me how happy he was that I was with seeing his boy and that he loved me like part of the family. He was one of the most sincere men I've ever met and the apple doesn't fall far from that tree. He was loved by so many people and he will be sadly missed. Tonight several of the garage regulars held a vigil of sorts outside Norm's garage, drinking beer and shedding tears as they swapped stories of this Stuttgart icon and his unselfish generosity. 
It kills me not to be able to say 'good-bye' in person. He was so good to me though he hardly knew me. That's just the kind of person he was and he will always hold a special place in my heart.  



No comments: