5.01.2012

What's In A Name?


At some point I seem to have inadvertently traded my title as ‘mom’, ‘mommy’, or ‘mama’ for nicknames such as ‘hey girl’, ‘what bro?’, ‘yeah dawg’ and the occasional, 'dang Gina!'.  Uh,… okay?  I guess I should be relieved they aren’t cursing and throwing lit matches at me.  I’m just saying it could be worse.  I hate to admit it but I did get the giggles one night when driving down Mass Street and I heard Gen say, “Yeah, you walk that dog girl.” 

Both of the girls had big softball tournaments this past weekend and of course they had to be in two different STATES. Their dad and I decided one of us with go with one kid Saturday and then switch on Sunday so we’d both get equal time. Gentry wanted me to come with her Saturday so the two of us went to Olathe.  She has really improved her game this spring. She finally has a coach who is encouraging and pushes her. He says he could see her talent potential when she first joined the team and knew he just needed to put her in a position to succeed. As as result her confidence is up and she's happy again. They played three games on Saturday and every time she got up to bat her teammates would yell, “Come on Big G!” Once I made eye contact with her and said, “Hit the ball girl.” She said, “Okay I will girl.” She stepped up and hit a double on the first pitch. Dang Gina!  She then went on to hit two more doubles in the next game. On the way home we were so pumped up from the excitement of the day and I told her that her new nickname should be “Double G.” My cleverness was apparently lost on her because she said she didn’t get it… (There’s nothing like having to explain a big boob double reference to your 14 year old).  *sigh*

No comments: