12.21.2011

Earlier this week I took the girls shopping after work for their dad. Unfortunately it had been raining steadily all day and it was cold. Not the most opportune time to shop but oh well. We left a video game store right behind an older woman who was using two canes to help her walk and she was moving preeeetty slooooow.  It was still raining and by then it was dark and instantly I thought of my dad.  She had no way to hold an umbrella with the two canes and only had a cotton sweatshirt hood covering her head. As she was nearing the curb to step out into the rain I quickly handed the keys to Gentry and told them to go on and wait for me in the car. I went over to the woman, covered her with my umbrella and we slooooowly crawled to her car. It took so long for the two of us to cross the street that cars were backing up and turning around rather than wait any longer.  We made small talk about the weather and how her son was turning 21 the next day. I’m guessing he was the one she was buying for in the game store. She thanked me several times and after I helped her shut the door to her car I prayed that she would go straight home. I’m really not even sure how she was able to drive since she had to manually lift her right foot into the car. I could feel the girls’ eyes on us the whole time and I could sense their relief when I got inside the car.  “Oh mama, you’re soaked! You’re a good Samaritan for helping that lady.” I didn’t help that lady to get brownie points with the Universe or my kids. It was the right thing to do and my hope is that they will step up and do the same for someone if they are ever given the opportunity.  

The moral of my story? Pay it (good deeds, love, etc.)forward every chance you get. Pass it on, don't keep it to yourself. .  

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Bless you for giving what you had to give....your time and patience. That woman appreciated your kindness more than you'll probably ever know. You're a good person who is blessed, my friend. Love ya and miss you (Brian says HI by the way :-))