12.20.2011

Four Days to Go

In three consecutive days we made two trips to Overland Park and two trips to Kansas City. One would think with the plethora of stores and malls at this end of the State that shopping would be easier. Not so. Maybe I’m too picky or nervous about getting the wrong thing… or both.  It’s also hard helping someone else shop.  We found a great little place in Overland Park called Park Place that offered a nice break from the crowds. Taking a shopping intermission break at Gordon Biersch Brewery for mimosas was probably the most counterproductive thing we could have done but dang, they were good. The waitress asked if we wanted a menu or if we were just chilling. When I replied, “Just drinks, we’ve been shopping.” She gave us a sympathetic, almost apologetic nod and said, “Oooh, I understand.” We sat and watched people ice skate at the small rink outside while we took inventory on what we still needed, where, and the shortest route. There was some disagreement on the shortest route. I insisted on following the GPS we've named Sally (as in Back Alley Sally) while "other people" insisted THEY have been "driving these roads for 18 years and have never gotten lost" so we should just stick Sally in the console. I didn't win that argument and saying "You're being a dick!" probably didn't help my cause.

We have been celebrating at work for a week now. Every day there has either been a meal or a table buffet of candy, cookies, cakes, etc.  I read that the early symptoms of a diabetic coma include excessive thirst and the inability to speak. I’ve had both of those symptoms. The excessive thirst was combated with a bottle of wine (after work) but the inability to speak was only temporary. Turns out it was just because my mouth was full of chocolate cake balls. 

Only four more days of running around getting last minute items and snarfing down sweets. I think I should have asked Santa for new running shoes because I'm going to need them.

No comments: