11.14.2011

Girl's Weekend


What do you get when you take a long weekend, add some shopping, mix in a comedy club with a dirty hypnotist, and stir in eight ladies intent on tearin’ up the town? A stomach-ache from laughing your ass off, that’s what.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the conversation on the drive down included the revelation ‘Hey, none of these people are ever going to see us again so what do we have to lose?’ 

No, it was all good. We all rode the hotel shuttle to Zona Rosa, had some appetizers and drinks and then hit the Sandman The Hypnotist show at The Improv. I’m not sure which was better; the show or the cab ride back to the hotel with Frank the driver. He came to pick us up in a black van and right away someone yells, “Hey Frank! Is this the cash cab?”  

My friend Laura and I drove back to my house and stayed there so we could kinda do our own thing on Saturday. We drank two pots of coffee in our jammies while solving all the world’s problems and catching up. Then we went to Mass Street to have lunch at Pickleman’s and then discovered some great quirky things in a few of the shops. I absolutely love the Esty like store downtown called “Made.” From the name you can gather that everything inside is hand-crafted and I had to fight hard to keep from buying a crocheted cup cozy that read “One Crazy Mofo.” (Dang it… I’m still kicking myself for not getting it. I may have to go back). 

We ran over to The Legend’s and hit some more stores and met the other girls briefly. We didn’t find anything spectacular and more importantly nothing that fit the detail documented Christmas Lists, complete with pictures that I was given. It was made very clear that I am NOT authorized to vary from the list. Sir, yes Sir!

Laura and I had dinner at the Bird Dog in the Oread while sitting next to a table of what Sorority Hell must be like; six hair and teeth excessively loud girls who obviously had been drinking all afternoon. We climbed the stairs to the 9th Floor Nest so she could experience the breath-taking view enhanced by the light from a full moon. We drove down Memorial Drive past the Campanile and got goose bumps when we discovered pairs of soldiers standing at attention in the dark along the way. We debated on whether it was proper or not to take their picture but then agreed to just commit the images to memory. God Bless our Soldiers. 

Thank you girls! This weekend exactly the mental health break I needed and I am looking forward to a repeat performance next year. 

No comments: