8.10.2011

This past weekend the Lawrence Hummers held a garage sale as a team fundraiser. Brilliant idea! Twelve families working together to create a relatively easy form of cash flow…$1100.00 worth of easy to be exact! We had an overwhelming turn out even with the morning rain. The girls stood out on the frontage road sidewalk in their jerseys and their signs bringing in the customers till well after noon.  It was such a success that we decided to hold another one the end of September. 


Last year at this time I wasn’t in a very good place and frankly didn’t feel like being a team mom so I let the girls’ dad take that role. He made an awesome “softball mom” and everyone loved him. Gentry even joked, “Dad is very popular with children, dogs, and softball moms!” I, on the other hand phoned in my duties. I didn’t socialize with the other parents and I basically just did what Gen needed me to do... and I really didn’t care.  This year I have made an effort and have met some incredibly generous, good-hearted people. Everything is clicking convincing me even more this is our team. One of the ladies is the food services manager at Gentry’s school. She asked Gen if she remembered her and she replied, “Yeah, I think I asked you for butter one time.”  Later she had a revelation:

Her: “Maybe if I slip her an extra dollar she will give me an extra cookie!”

Me: “Well, how much are cookies?”

Her: “25 cents.”

Me: “Uuuum.., she better slip ya FOUR cookies!”   

Her: “Oh.. yeah. Guess I didn’t think that through.” 

Me: “Math really isn’t your strongest subject, huh Sis.” 

Syd had her first Phenix practice last night and the mom’s on that team are crazy as Betsy bugs. When one of them asked who was making the list so we would know who is in charge of adult beverages before games, I knew I’d found my people.

No comments: