8.17.2011

My baby is a fifth grader. Oh.. my.. gosh, really? How is that possible? Today with all her school supplies in tow she walked into her school all by herself only knowing the name of her teacher and the general vicinity of the fifth grade pods. I offered to walk her in but she said she didn't need me to; she was going to meet her friend (who we affectionately call Manders) at 7:40am. Syd and Manders were in the same fourth grade class and are together again this year. It's not like the girls don't see each other outside of school, we are neighbors with her family and I work with her mom. The two of them have been practically joined at the hip all summer long.

My Sydie struggled with school last year. It wasn't because it was a new school or because she missed her old friends because she adjusted very quickly to her new surroundings. Manders really helped with her transition; especially when we moved into our house and the girls were within walking distance. Syd has always had a problem with focusing. Ever since she was little she has been like a human pogo stick bouncing between tasks and ideas seemingly unable to control her overactive brain. This summer, finally, we had to concede that she may need a little something to help her concentrate and our family doctor agreed. I worried that even a low dosage would change her into a little zombie. I want her to be able to pay attention to her teacher, follow directions, and remember to bring her assignments home. The last thing I want is for my creative, comical child to become some sort of droid. Tonight as she was strutting around jabbering at us in a thick Jersey accent, I had to smile with reassurance knowing that no medication will ever mask her unique personality.

No comments: