4.12.2011

The Season Finale

My sister was gracious enough to take Ali and me as her “dates” to the KU Men’s Basketball Banquet. It’s these little perks that I would be so jealous of if it were not for the fact that she usually includes me. My bro-in-law is a devout ‘purple fan’ and could therefore care less. Fine with me; let’s go before he changes his mind!

The night was pretty low-key but there were some moments that were more touching than others. I got chills when Wayne Simien gave the invocation and choked up when all the parents of the players were asked to stand thinking about how that must have stung for T-Rob. At times we wondered if Coach was drunk especially when he said that the best thing about Brady graduating was that he was taking Roger with him or when he mentioned an athletic staff member by name and congratulated him on a successful colonoscopy from earlier that day. The cherry on top however was when he introduced the three seniors and was starting to explain how Mario had a rough start to his KU career with an injury. He actually said “How big is your rod Rio?” referring to a metal rod he had to have put in his leg. The entire room of 600 plus and all the players cracked up.  In response Little held out his hands about 12 inches apart and the laughter in the room escalated. Coach turned red and said, “I think I need to call a time-out!”

A season 35 and three AND back to back to back to back to back to back to back Big 12 Championships. Rock Chalk Jayhawk! See ya at the Fieldhouse in November.

No comments: