4.11.2011

Lies, deceit...

Let me start by saying I am NOT easy to fool. This past week the only thing I knew for sure was that Friday night Dan was taking me to The Legend's in KC to celebrate and to pick up my gift. Saturday remained a mystery that I obsessively tried to piece together by bouncing ideas and clues off my friends and my sister trusting their responses. That apparently was my first mistake! I was given the impression that there would be some sort of wine tasting, perhaps a party and I was fairly certain it was going to be at his home because he had taken the past two days off from work to "work on his house." He said he planned to put a 'For Sale' sign in the yard on Sunday and needed to get the house ready. So I attempted to do some digging and asked those close to me, "Have you talked to Dan this week? So, did you get an invite to any kind of wine tasting?" They were absolutely no help whatsoever and I had NO IDEA that while they remained firm in their denial, they were instantly reporting back to Dan letting him know that I was suspicious! Traitors.

So Saturday after doing some shopping with my sister (who still professed her innocence) I was only told I would be picked up at exactly 5:30 and I needed to pack a bag and be ready to go so we could meet our reservation on time. Oh my gawed, really? A 5:30 reservation?? That alone officially signaled the crossover to my new demographic. We have NEVER eaten that early on a weekend. Something was up.

As we drove out of town he suddenly remembered he forgot something at his house so we needed to go there real quick. There were no cars in the drive; no sign of life and he even left the truck running as we ran inside for "just a minute." As I walked into the great room I first saw the "40" balloon bundles, the streamers, and two tables packed full of all kinds of food. Then they jumped out at me! My Daniel had managed to somehow get my friends to Lawrence along with my sister and several of our good friends we have here to all congregate at his house to scare the hell out of me for my birthday. After the shock wore off then all the confessions starting coming out. Needless to say they were all pretty tickled with themselves for getting away with it. As for Daniel.. he had been stressed to the max for two days worried that I was going to find out and that he wouldn't get everything done in time.

I have never, never, NEVER had such a great birthday. The lengths they went to in the planning and the preparation for this shin-ding was touching. If I hadn't been in such shock I probably would have started crying instantly. Instead all I could muster was, "You lied to me!"

To my younger friends and my sister.... ya'll have given me some great ideas that I will store for later but just remember, paybacks are a bitch! To my Daniel... you are amazingly wonderful, so, so thoughtful and much sneakier than I gave you credit for.

Thank you all for an awesome night. Yeah, you got me.

No comments: