2.13.2011

The Big Easy - Part I

The first full day in New Orleans warranted a street car ride to the Garden District in hopes of discovering some of the architecture the city is famous for. We weren't disappointed and I was excited to find Lafayette Cemetery, one of the "cities of the dead."  Several of the mausoleums had dates going back to the late 1800's. I was intrigued by all the beads hanging from the trees, on power lines, on garden walls, etc., etc. Mardi Gras season began January 6th and runs until Fat Tuesday March 8th so many of the homes were decorated in brightly colored masks and tinsel. It was hard to capture on film the "whoa..." effect I got walking these sidewalks. The history and tradition that lives in this city left us awe struck and me a wee bit hungover.

No comments: