1.23.2011

Yesterday marked one year since Dad passed away. Mom had been anticipating this day all week and was mentally preparing. When I called her to check in she was multi-tasking to preoccupy her mind. For me it was just comforting to have someone close to me who (without being prompted) first thing yesterday said, "hey.. I know what today is and I'm here for you."  That's really all I needed and I described that early morning a year ago a little bit just to set the scene.

My sister and I don't make a habit of dwelling on things like that, at least when we are together. I'll say "hey, did you remember?" and she'll say "yeah" and that will be the extent of the conversation. That's pretty much how it went yesterday in the car on our way to the KU game as I was putting on hand lotion. Suddenly she burst out with, "Dude! What is that?" I told her I had gotten some hippie lotion around Christmas time from the Merc called frankincense and myrrh. She said, "Ugh. Well you need to throw that shit away cause it smells like puke, skank, and old lady!" I have to admit, she's right... it really does smell awful. So instead of continuing to live in denial, I pitched it in the trash when I got home. Leave it to Bon to know how to subtly change the mood.

No comments: