11.02.2010

Cyndi Lauper and The Nerd

My oldest struggled this year with, "Am I too old to trick-or-treat? Will my friends think I'm uncool?" She waffled back and forth but at the last minute decided she would walk around with her sister and their dad. Her original idea was a plain white t-shirt with the word "COSTUME" on it written in sharpie but it didn't turn out the way she had hoped so the nerd glasses were plan B. Syd, on the other hand has known for a month that she wanted to go as Cyndi Lauper and actually wore a costume I wore a few years ago (with some altering, of course). I took my usual spot at the door handing out candy. After a long day of painting, all I wanted was a little quiet down time so I built a fire, lit some candles, turned off all the inside lights, turned on Sunday night football and patiently waited for the doorbell to ring. I considered a big glass of wine to round out the evening but didn't figure that would impress my neighbors too much when I answered the door and breathed on their children.
We spent a very low-key Halloween compared to past years. I didn't dress up or even carve a pumpkin but we decorated some and more importantly got the pleasure of experiencing the holiday in our new neighborhood. 

No comments: