6.01.2010

Day One

A while back I decided I needed to find a sure fire way to get rid of this emotional funk I've been in once and for all. It's been four months since dad passed and I still can't talk or think about him without crying. I know that's normal to a certain extent but damnit, moping around isn't going to make me feel any better. Plus, it's just not my style. So one day it hit me: I am going to channel that pain into a more productive kind of pain that ultimately won't hurt anymore! I'm going to take all that emotion inside and use it to reach another goal. I'm going to make exercise my therapist. 

I started doing the P90X workout last month with my sister and bro-in-law. Today we started another regimen; Dog Days. Basically it's an exercise program open to the entire community. We meet at either 6am or 6pm four days a week, do 30 minutes or so of calisthenics then Coach tells us the route he wants us to run. You never really appreciate the steepness of the hills on the KU campus until you are out of shape and having to run them in 95 degree heat. Wow.  It's pretty cool though when you finally finish that run and at the end there are 200 plus total strangers cheering you on. Next week we are going to attempt to set the world record for the largest group workout.

Tonight was hard and as I was chugging up that first hill I thought, "what the hell was I thinking?" This is something I have always wanted to do to prove to myself and to a few other people that I can actually do it. It also isn't going to hurt the way I look in the smokin' bridesmaid's dress my friend picked out for her wedding this August. That's my secondary goal. *wink wink* Plus I have the wedding singer to compete with and that won't be easy!

We really need to break the habit of going for ice cream after we work out though. I wish I were kidding about that, but it is absolutely true. We had to chuckle when the girl behind the counter said, "Did you guys do Dog Days tonight?" I'm not sure what tipped her off; our beat red faces, the funk permeating from our clothes, or our sweat drenched hair maybe? No clue.

Anyway, day one is complete and if I can roll out of bed in the morning, then bring on day two.. and some Tylenol please.  

No comments: