1.20.2010

Today started and ended on a sad note (except for the fact that KU beat Baylor, Rock Chalk!). For starters I helped celebrate the life of a wonderful classmate who was tragically taken from us much too soon. As soon as I got home from the cemetery I had a message that Dad was being transported from Salina to the Clay Center hospital. There is nothing else that can be done now and his organs are starting to fail. So we wait.

Tonight the four of us had some real good alone time in his room. Mom has finally accepted that he is not going to recover so we were able to talk about all the things nobody has wanted to mention. Dad was able to tell us what kind of final arrangements he wants so now there are no questions. We were all in tears but at the same time I felt a huge wave of relief wash over me.

He had several people from the church stop by which was really nice. They said prayers for him and read from the book of Psalms. More tears.. but it was all good. You could feel the love in the room and it was an incredibly peaceful feeling. 

All of our family and friends have been so wonderful and almost all have asked "What can I do to help?" Tonight a good friend gave me the biggest hug and asked that very question. I could only reply with, "You just did it."

Today's repetitive moral was, "Life is short so hug the neck of those you care about while you can."

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

My prayers are with you and your family Connie. You are making the best of a very sad situation. Your writing is helpful to you I'm sure and it makes me feel a part of your journey. Know I am with you for support. Love you!

Donnita said...

CJ, you are in my thoughts & prayers and wanting you to know I'm sending a BIG hug. Love, Nita