8.16.2009

Butterfly girls

We took the girls to Omaha's Henry Doorly zoo this past weekend. Both of the kids said it was by far the best zoo they had ever been to and there was still more we didn't see. They are already talking about "next year when we go back.... "

One of my favorite spots was the Garden of the Senses. They had these cool butterfly benches and of course I made them stop for a photo.

As I was uploading these pictures last night these two in particular stood out. My littlest is such a ham when it comes to getting her picture taken. She is not lacking in the self confidence department and truly enjoys being her own little creative individual. I love that about her because she doesn't get those characteristics from me.

My oldest on the other hand is a very thoughtful and reflective child. This picture speaks volumes to me as her mother because I see her changing so much both mentally and physically. She is like the tiny caterpillar who is in the process of morphing into a beautiful butterfly. Seeing her on this bench symbolizes to me the cycle of life. Our children change so quickly. We as parents help them to grow as individuals as much as they will let us and soon they take all that we have taught them and fly away to begin their own lives. While I know I have a few years before I have to deal with that reality it still makes me stop and be thankful for all the special moments we get now.

No comments: