2.21.2008

"Gentry looks like a girl!"

This was the comment my friend Connie made when she saw Gentry with her hair curled and wearing make-up! You have to understand, this child lives in t-shirts and shorts all year round. She doesn't wear nail polish or anything frilly so I was shocked when she agreed to let me curl her ponytail for a dance performance. I had just picked her up from basketball practice and we were hurrying home to get changed. She told me her dance teacher just said they should wear ponytails and her hair was already in a ponytail so she didn't see any reason to re-do it. I told her I wanted her to look like a "dancer" not a "ball player" and she didn't give me any grief.

One night last week after several phone calls from one of her little girlfriends the phone rang so Gen yelled she would get it. She was only on the phone for a couple minutes so I asked her who it was. Her response was she didn't know, then it changed to just one of my friends but she was acting very weird about it. I finally got it out of her that it was a boy from school. Man, she did NOT want to tell mom that! But I played it cool and just said, "Oh, okay" and went on. What she doesn't know is I grabbed the phone and ran into the bathroom to secretly call her Dad to tell him that a boy had called the house! The only thing he could say was, "Oh no. Oh no. Oh no..."

No comments: