6.25.2012


Everyone has their breaking point and I reached mine Friday night while sitting at Gentry’s softball game. Everything just kind of bubbled up and then spilled over and by the time I was driving home at midnight I had completely melted down.  Being a single mom with a house to maintain is hard enough but when you have your weekends consumed with out of town ball games, it makes it completely  impossible to keep on top of simple things like mowing or weeding the garden.  I felt like I had no choice but to fight the guilt I felt by not being at their games Saturday and Sunday and stay home to conquer a long to-do list. I kept telling myself I’d be a better mommy come Sunday night when they got home if I wasn’t all stressed and crazy.  I have to admit; I feel pretty good today. 

Saturday alone I was able to get my kitchen cabinets finished, we installed a couple new light switches, sanded and painted a night stand, used my new edger on the lawn, sprayed for weeds, and put some large pieces of flat rock around the garden.  The next thing I knew it was 7pm and I looked like I had taken a shower fully dressed. Gross! Daniel decided that we had earned a night out and I sure didn’t argue with him. This weekend held a greater significance in that it was a milestone for us so even though we had worked our asses off all day, we still were going to celebrate. We got dressed up and decided to start with margaritas on the patio at Celito Lindo then walked up and down Mass Street trying to decide where to grab a bite. We stopped at 715 but the menu left a little to be desired since I don’t eat lamb or rabbit so we just had drinks and soaked up the candle lit ambiance of the room. We really wanted to eat at Zen Zero (my new favorite place) but for some reason we couldn’t find it so we popped in for a Minsky’s pizza instead. Later we discovered we had walked by Zen Zero not once, but twice. Wow, those were some goooood margaritas! 

So Sunday with laundry hanging out to dry, the  house vacuumed, and groceries stocked for the week, the only thing left to do was to make homemade ice cream for when the girls got home. (Peanut butter and chocolate rabbit ice cream to be exact). We also made our first batch of gazpacho for the summer with fresh veggies from the farmer’s market.  

The girls came home in good moods which told me they probably needed a break from me as well. It was nice.  No one had anxiety about anything. We were just three girls (and a boy) completely worn out physically enjoying some PB&R ice cream. Aaaaah yeeeeah……

No comments: