4.10.2012

2012 Mass Street Celebration

Well…, basketball season has come and gone. As I’ve said in prior years I absolutely hate the lull between basketball and football. I suppose it is really for the best otherwise I’d spend my weekends inside rather than outside doing necessary maintenance type chores.  

Our Jayhawks had an amazing season to say the least. Our coach labeled them early on as one of the least talented teams he’s coached and yet we ended up battling it out in the championship. I’m telling you, the MAN IS A WIZARD! 

On the Saturday night we beat Ohio State earning us a shot at the title, the minute the game was over Daniel, Gentry, and I jumped in the truck and headed downtown. The scene was craaaaZY! You could hear fireworks, screaming, whistling, and horns honking all over town. As we poked along in the traffic jam of cars, people were hanging out of their cars celebrating. Even the Asians at the sushi restaurant down the street came running out to the street, hands waving cheering something in a language only they understood. Now THAT was funny! 

It was late and I was tired but heading to Mass Street was something I at least wanted to be able to say I did once. Plus, Gen thought we were pretty cool for letting her go as well. It was estimated that between 40 and 50,000 fans stormed downtown. People would high-five us and I couldn’t help but laugh when Gen would curl away from them and say, “I don’t want to touch strangers.”  She was like a scared little field mouse clinging to my shirt because she was so afraid we would get separated in the mob. When we got sprayed with beer by a kid who had shimmied up a stoplight, we decided it was time to go home. 
Pictures courtesy of The Kansan
 
 Syd had spent the night with a friend and her parents had taken the girls downtown too. Syd bragged, "I high-fived 62 people!" then snarled up her nose when she told us, "but I got beer on my shoes. I wasn't even drinking!"

No comments: