3.06.2012

Why Yes, I WILL Have Another

Daniel got us two of the last tickets to the 1st annual Craft Brewers Exposition held downtown this past weekend. (Check out the pics at their Facebook page). For four hours we and 718 others sampled some of the best craft beers on the market and a few that are still in the test phase. These types of events are quickly becoming what the wine tasting festivals have been for years. As the afternoon progressed and taps began to dry up I half expected people to start getting rowdy or belligerent from all the sampling. Quite the contrary; everyone we encountered was exceptionally polite and patient as we stood sometimes shoulder-to-shoulder in long lines waiting for our cups to be filled with some delicious liquid gold. Aaaaah…. 
Pic Courtesy of Mango3742

I’m a wheat drinker. I haven’t acquired a taste for the hoppy IPA’s and I doubt I will. I like what I like yet I was slightly embarrassed asking every vendor to sample their lightest beer. I have to say (aside from my local favorite, “Wave the Wheat” at 23rd Street Brewery), my favorite was called “Wheachy” from O’Fallon’s Brewery in St. Louis. It had a hint of peach that was out of this world. I went back so many times the dude behind the table would reach for it as soon as he saw me. At least I wasn’t going up to vendors saying, “I only drink Miller Lite so what do you have that tastes like Miller Lite?” like a friend of ours was. Her party quickly told her to knock it off because she was embarrassing them.  

After four hours of drinking and a small plate of cheese and crackers I wanted a barrel sized glass of water and a trough of food, stat! The place we had in mind looked busy so we went to another place close by. We had no idea they didn’t serve food and because we talked to the owner as we walked in, we felt obligated to have one (more) beer. *ugh* Soon we were off again on our hunt to scare up some grub, but not until I inadvertently got into the wrong truck in the parking lot… with the owner standing close by laughing his ass off and Daniel repeating, “Umm.., this is not my truck. This is NOT my truck.”  

As Syd would say, "Public fail".  

No comments: