7.15.2011

My kids have finally come to accept that their mom is always going to be lurking with her camera in an attempt to catch them in the act of doing something totally embarrassing that can and will be held against them later in life. Luckily for me they have no interest in reading my blog so I can pretty much divulge whatever I want. (Muhaaa, haaa, haaa suckas!)

To set the scene for you, Gentry’s softball team has been practicing exceptionally hard all week preparing for the USSSA Softball World Series starting here in Lawrence on Monday.  The heat index has been well in the 100’s every night making it very sticky and uncomfortable for absolutely everyone involved. After four nights of being sweaty and gross she announces to me and her sister,

“Maaaaan, I have an itchy butt! Mom, what can I do for my itchy butt?”
“ Oh no Sissy, you probably have a heat rash.” 
“On my butt? Really? How did it get there? Oh dear.. I must go tweet about this.” 

So I know I don’t have any baby powder or diaper rash cream so I Google home remedy for heat rash and give her the low down.  She can either apply ice to cool the skin, dust with cornstarch, apply calamine lotion, or simply let her hiney hang out for all the world to see to get some air to the skin. She didn't like any of these but ultimately decided to try the cornstarch method after I assured her she would not end up with butt gravy. Yes, we were being gross but the jokes were just too damn easy and Syd and I were really enjoying ourselves at her expense. After a few minutes, from the bathroom I hear her call, “Mission accomplished soldier! Oh, that feels MUCH better.”

Cornstarch: It’s not just for Thanksgiving anymore.

No comments: