7.05.2011

Glad to be home!

The girls, Daniel, I went on our first canoe float trip in the Lake of the Ozarks over the holiday weekend. We stayed in the same cabins we rented last Fall and the girls loved being right on the banks of the Little Niangua. We first had to settle the issue of who would occupy the top bunk since neither child wanted it. Syd was scared she would fall out and Gen simply didn't want it but finally said she would when I threatened to make them sleep together. Syd soon found out that she made a bad decision letting her sister live above her for four days.
Waiting to pounce...



The views surrounding us were amazing and tranquil even with the occasional hum of a jet ski zipping by. Saturday night we were pleasantly surprised to be serenaded by a guy playing bass and another playing guitar for the entire campground and surrounding homes thanks to their amplifiers and the still Ozark air. They sang everything from Jimmy Hendrix to The Black Crows to Michael Jackson until about 11pm.
Sunday we spent seven hours floating four miles. I'm absolutely a "hurry up, let's go" type of person so stopping to swim or fish for an hour just about did me in. The pace of trip was anything but hurry up and I could appreciate that as long as I was in the canoe where Mr. No-Shoulders couldn't get to me. I hate snakes with a passion; deathly terrified would be more accurate. So whenever we encountered one I would catch my breath and scramble for shore trying my best not to shriek in panic.
Gen informed me she wasn't paddling. She wanted a tube to float along behind. She did have to paddle some but mostly they both floated on their tubes... and other than the fact that Dan and I each had a canoe all to ourselves most of the day, it turned out to be a great idea.When they needed a break they would grab onto the back of one of our canoes and Daniel would say, "Gentry, don't be a drag." 
The others in our party were under the impression I had done this before. I didn't bother to tell them that I do hold the record at our house for Wii canoe racing so that kinda makes me an expert, right?
I think I took this right before Daniel flipped his canoe.. for the second time.

No comments: