5.01.2011

Crossing Jimmy Off My Bucket List

I officially became a parrot head in the summer of 1989 at Goose Pond thanks to my Alabama friends, the Countess'. The morning was reserved for going out on their party barge while late afternoon was reserved for boiled shrimp and ice cold beer. It was here that I first heard Jimmy Buffett. To this day when I hear him sing Margaritaville I am back at Goose Pond in my flip-flops, young and without a care, eating boiled shrimp, and soaking up the sun with some blissfully crazy friends getting absolutely hooked on the sound of a steel drum. 

Seeing Jimmy in concert became a must almost immediately and over time has risen to #2 on my bucket list so when I heard he was coming to Kansas City, I flipped out! However something was keeping me from reserving tickets online and then I went through a phase where I accepted I wasn't going to get to go and was trying to be "okay" with that revelation.

Then, the afternoon of the concert, Daniel and I decided we had had such a great day, it was beautiful outside and perhaps we would just venture over to the Power and Light District in KC and enjoy the party that had been going on all day prior to the concert. Who knows; maybe we would even find tickets. My hopes were not high but Daniel insisted it would all work out. A block from the party Dan recognized a buddy from Lawrence who waved us over to his table and asked if we need tickets. Seriously? Uh, yeah! He said the tickets belonged to another guy who wasn't going to be able to go and he thought they were pretty good seats. I had the Sprint Center seating chart committed to memory as much as I had looked at it over the past few weeks so Dan had me look at them. I KNOW my eyes about bugged out of my head. Holy CRAP were they ever good seats but I stayed cool and we told him we would think about it; got his cell and walked on to the party to get some margaritas.

About five minutes after the concert started we called and made him an offer. Ten minutes later we were walking into the Sprint Center with our tickets.... that just happened to be located in, (wait for it).... The Founders Club! These seats were better than anything I could EVER have imagined and even better is we got them for a lot less than face value. 

I then had to listen to, "Didn't I TELL YOU it would all work out? Huh, didn't I?" the rest of the night but I didn't care because I was absolutely on cloud nine. It had been an exceptionally lucky day for us all day.

Yeeeeeees, you told me. Now zip it and pass me that shaker of salt.

No comments: