1.31.2011

Remember in high school or college when Friday would hit and you would get that anxious anticipation of doing or going somewhere fun? That's the feeling that consumes me once a week when the monotonous work week is finally coming to a close. I find myself sitting at my desk almost nervously watching the clock waiting for 4:30 to hit (or 4:27ish because that's close enough) so I can mentally give everyone the finger and jet.

This weekend started off trying to find a place to get a drink that wasn't packed. After this particular week, I really needed to unwind. With the impending big game on Saturday tons of out-of-towners flooded the city.  We checked out three places before finally deciding to hit the Oread. Surprisingly the flood had not spread there yet and we got a table easily at the Bird Dog. If I had not already agreed to watch my nephew later that evening we would have taken part in the bourbon tasting event they had scheduled. Ironically, that is probably the first time Blake has ever saved me from a major hangover.

Saturday we meandered around Nebraska Furniture Mart and Cabelas until my feet hurt before heading over to Shawnee to some friends' house for a watch party. They had the biggest flipping TV in what they called the "Man Cave" and when Dan whispered, "I told you it was huge," I couldn't help but snicker and say, "THAT'S what SHE said!" Their nephew is in the process of opening a brew pub and brought some of his home brewed pecan stout. It was darker than what I normally prefer but it tasted really light without the usual aftertaste of a dark brew. It was very impressive but at 14% alcohol I thought I'd better stick to my Boulevard Wheat. I predict before the year is over I'll get to assist with making some home brew. I've heard it's a very delicate process; more so than making wine and finding the perfect concoction intrigues me. I never in a million years thought I would be interested in brewing or that I would develop a taste for it. I'm guessing my friends won't call me a Beer Snob when they are drinking home-made, FREE beer at my house. Huh?

No comments: