1.18.2011

"Come'on Baby Light My Fire"

I have been helping a friend do some tiling, painting etc. to get everything in tip-top shape for him to put his house on the market this Spring. Over a four year span he has accumulated a 12 foot high brush pile at the edge of his property that I helped contribute to with timbers from my yard. I mentioned that after the first snow we should light that baby on fire. The conditions were perfect yesterday; no wind and the roof of the house and out buildings were still wet with snow so we called in a controlled burn to the local fire department (hoping it would stay that way), doused it with diesel fuel, and lit a match. Whoooosh! We couldn't get within 10 feet of it for the heat and as this huge tee-pee of timbers and brush burst into flames a wave of panic hit me; "What the hell do we do if this does get out of control? Throw snow on it like a dog diggin' a hole!" 

Thankfully, it was uneventful for us however a family of rats were tragically displaced. He also may end up losing a tree we hadn't expected to be in the way but other than that nothing major. After a couple hours we realized this was not going to be over right away and thought about calling the fire department back to tell them we were done.

"Dispatch."
"Uh yeah, I called in a controlled burn and just wanted to let you know that I'm done."
"Sir, is the fire completely extinguished?"
"Um no. I'm just calling to tell you I'm done."

We did leave to go watch the KU game and I'm pretty sure dispatch hasn't been called because that pile is still smokin'.

No comments: