1.22.2010

One of the most generous, understanding men I have ever known is my Dad. He has always been a big jokster and I can remember lots of pranks he pulled over the years, mostly on his sisters. Sometimes it was frustrating for me because I would want him to be serious and he would keep cracking jokes. That was part of his charm and why so many people loved him. He had a playful spirit that brought a smile to many.

Last night with my Sister, my Aunts and Grandma we reminisced and laughed at some of the crazy things my Dad did when he was younger. Once he stole his sister Opal's new bicycle. As he was going down a hill the handle bars came out and he ended up crashing it into a bridge. He also crashed his go-kart into his car when the steering wheel came undone. (Yes, we were sensing a theme). This was the accident that messed up his knee and later in life made it extremely hard for him to get around. Another time on a big family camping trip in Wakefield, my Dad along with my other uncles were in a boat that was suddenly caught by a cross-wind and capsized out in the middle of the lake. My Dad was a bit of dare-devil and I'm convinced he knew no fear up until he was diagnosed with cancer. He didn't fear for himself, he feared that he would not get to watch his grandchildren grow up.

My Dad's biggest joy was his three grandchildren. He lived for them and would do whatever he could to spend time with them. He never missed a school event or even one of their ballgames. I hope this is something they will always remember.

My Dad has not been able to walk on his own for nearly ten years. This morning he is walking with Jesus.

I love you Daddy...

2 comments:

Sissy said...

We love you, CJ. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. If you need anything, just call!

Sissy

Rebecca said...

Connie I am so sorry for your loss. You did a beautiful job of putting your love and thoughts to paper. Your daddy is smiling on you now and always.
Know you are loved and my prayers are with you, Gentry and Sydney and Jamie, as well as your mom and the rest of the family.