12.27.2009

Positive move

Dad was moved to a private room today. His BP is up well within normal range and no sign of dehydration. They started giving him insulin today though because his blood sugar was way too high. The girls and I went to see him for a few hours and he was much more alert and even ate some real food! I think it has finally set in that he HAS to start making more of an effort to eat and drink as much as possible. As I was leaving he even asked me to sneak him in a couple of beers tomorrow. Yeah, not gonna happen bud!

I had a flashback today. His room was very stuffy and I suddenly thought about the ice cream treats I saw in a vending machine on first floor the other day. I told the girls to come with me and we went down to scope it out. There were 10-12 different items to chose from and the girls took their time to insure a wise choice. Gentry chose a drumstick and as I was pushing the buttons on the vending machine, a memory from my childhood came over me like a wave...

I was only four years old when my Grandpa Dodd died of cancer.  I can only remember going to the hospital to see him one time and on that visit I distinctly remember someone taking me to the vending machines where they bought me a drumstick ice cream cone. I remember that because it was the first time I had ever had one and it was AWESOME!

As Gentry reached in and grabbed that drumstick I instantly thought, "Oh my.. now she going to have the same memory of her Grandpa fighting cancer in the hospital."

No comments: